Thursday, January 5, 2017

The Chicken Challenge: April

April
1.  Ask God to help you find a new “verse of the month” and a new “word of the month.”  Post it where you can see it.  And ask Him to help you apply it.  (And/or ask Him if there is any task/challenge He wants to give you this month.)

2.  Pick two or three new people to pray for this month.  Write their names down, pray for them daily, and ask God if there is anything specific you should pray for about them. 

3.  What are five hobbies/fun things that you are thankful for?

4.  Pick another item from your “nice things to do for others” list and find time to do it this month.

5.  Ask God:  “Is there anything that I am trying to hide from You?  What do I fear will happen if I admitted the truth?  And what do You say about it?” 

6.  What are five blue things you are thankful for?

7.  Spend at least 30 minutes away from all technology at least three times this week and do something peaceful and relaxing instead.  Protect your “alone time” and your time with your family.

8.  Ask God:  “Have I ever quenched or grieved the Spirit along the way?  If so, how?  And is there anything I can do about it now?”   

9.  What are five (or more) small things you are thankful for? 

10.  Pick a verse you’ve always wanted to memorize.  Now memorize it.

11.  Ask God:  “How well do I listen for You and to You?  Can I sense Your leading?  (If not, why?)  And how do You want me to change in this area?”

12.  What are five (or more) big things you are thankful for?

13.  What three disappointments do you need to come to terms with.  Confess this in prayer and ask God to help you find contentment, peace, and joy in the midst of lingering disappointment.

14.  Ask God:  “What fears and doubts do I have when it comes to relationships with others and with You?  How does this affect me?  How do You want it to be different?” 

15.  What are five things about daytime that you are thankful for?

16.  Next time you stand in line somewhere, pick a person around you to pray for.  And ask God what He wants you to pray.

17.  Ask God:  “How well do I obey?  Am I failing to obey in any area right now?  What do You want me to do about it?  Am I doing any wrong ‘little things’ that I am trying to get away with?  Or any wrong ‘big things’ that I am rationalizing?”

18.  What are five things about nighttime you are thankful for?

19.  Choose from your “nice things to do for yourself” list.  And do it soon.

20.  Ask God:  “Is there anyone You want me to contact or reach out to for any reason?”

21.  What are five things about being young you are/were thankful for?

22.  Sometime soon, when no one else is around (or with your family, if you’d like to), put on some good music and dance around your house and shake out all your tension and frustration.  It’s amazing what a little good music and moving around can do for you. 
           [If you cannot think of any good songs to dance to, can I recommend a couple?  (I’m not looking at the content of these songs as much as I am the ability to move you.)  The best song ever to dance to is “Dancin’ in the Moonlight” by Toploader, or I think there’s an original version, too.  Other great ones: “Budapest” (George Ezra) . . . “I Will Wait” (Mumford and Sons) . . . “Take a Chance on Me” (Abba) . . . “Wonderin’” and “Break Open the Sky” (Toby Mac) . . . “Forever in Blue Jeans” (Neil Diamond.  Don’t laugh.  I love this song!  It’s especially helpful when you’ve never had much money and will always wear blue jeans instead of fancy clothes!) . . . “Cecilia” (Simon and Garfunkel.  Love them!) . . . “Stuck in a Moment” (great for depression) and “Numb” (U2) . . . “We’re Not Gonna Take It” (Twisted Sister.  Great for when you are frustrated.) . . . and . . . alright, just remember that I’m talking about dance-ability here . . . “Ice, Ice Baby” (Vanilla Ice.  I have the goofiest flap-your-wings “chicken dance” that I do to this song . . . with the kids  . . . not all by myself . . . because that would just be weird.  Plus, I know all the words, so it makes it especially fun to dance to.  See, I said don’t take life too seriously!).]   

23.  Ask God:  “What movie character/person do I most remind You of?  Why?”  (I’m a hobbit.  Bilbo Baggins.  Not the most flattering picture, but so true in so many ways!)

24.  What are five things about growing up/being grown you are thankful for?

25.  Pick another room or closet in your house and clean it out, finding at least 10 things to get rid of.

26.  Ask God:  “What expectations, assumptions, fears, or doubts do I have about prayer?  What do You want to say about my view of and practice of prayer?  And is there anything hindering my prayers right now?  What should I do about it?”

27.  What are five things about your job/role that you can be thankful for?

28.  Make something crafty and display it or give it away.  It doesn’t matter if you don’t think you are crafty or talented; it doesn’t have to be good or for anyone else.  Paint or draw, make a collage or wind chimes, write or copy a poem on pretty paper and decorate it, take a picture with your camera, make something out of hardening clay.  It doesn’t matter what, just enjoy the process. 

29.  Ask God:  “When it comes to prayer, what do I need to do more of?  What do I need to do less of?  Is there anything that I need to ask Your guidance about?”

30.  What are five green things you are thankful for?